LEADING A cGROUP
Leading a cGroup isn’t about being perfect; it’s about serving others by giving them a place to connect. Hosting a group is simple—choose a topic that interests you and select a time and location to meet with others to share it. We give you essential tools to make your cGroup successful through Leader Training and a place where you can register your group so others can find it easily. We believe people’s lives are changed one semester at a time by moving one step toward Christ, and as a cGroup leader you get to play an important role in that process.
HOW TO START YOUR CGROUP
- Attend Liv It Church for a minimum of 6 months
- Ask God for direction about what group to lead and who to invite.
- Once you decide on a topic or activity for your group, choose a place and time to meet.
- Attend cGroup training where you’ll learn everything you need to host your cGroup.
- After being approved by our pastoral staff to lead your cGroup, invite people you know or meet to come check out your group.
- Pray for God to do great things through your cGroup.
THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER
Prayer is the foundation of our church, and it is important for your cGroup.
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
2 Chronicles 7:14
HOW TO PRAY FOR YOUR GROUP
- Pray for any requests group members share.
Ask for the presence of the Holy Spirit in your group.
- Pray that God will reveal Himself to each participant personally.
- Pray for an authentic community to develop.
- Pray for wisdom and strength to lead your group well.
PREPARING FOR YOUR GROUP MEETINGS
- Send a message to group participants reminding them about the first meeting.
- Arrive early to set up a welcoming environment.
- Consider using nametags to help everyone learn names for the first few weeks.
- Consider having snacks.
HELPING PEOPLE TAKE THE NEXT STEP
Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your hearts. Proverbs 27:23
People in your group will be at different places in their spiritual lives and each person will have different next steps to take. Here is a guide of some next steps you can help people take:
- Start attending Weekend Services
- Start reading the Bible regularly
- Start praying regularly
- Be water baptized
- Attend Life Track
- Join the Dream Team
- Lead a Small Group
- Attend First Wednesday Services
- Start tithing
- Invite a friend or neighbor to church or a cGroup
WHAT DOES A CGROUP LOOK LIKE?
We use a free-market approach to small groups. This means we want people to gather together based on the things they enjoy and are important to them. Essentially, the things you are already doing in your life are the things that can make up your cGroup!
Free market leaders form their groups around their gifts and interests.
DO I HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF LIV IT CHURCH TO BE A CGROUP LEADER?
We ask that all of our potential cGroup leaders have attended and completed Life Track and have attended Liv It Church for a minimum of 6 months.
WHY ARE THERE SEMESTERS?
This allows group leaders and participants to have built- in breaks throughout the year. We believe there is value in cyclical beginnings and endings to Small Group experiences.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF SOMEONE ASKS A QUESTION I CAN’T ANSWER?
It’s okay to not have all the answers. Thankfully, we can find guidance through prayer, God’s Word, and the Holy Spirit. Encourage them to spend time reading the Bible and praying. Also, let them know that you will do your best to get some information and get back with them at your next cGroup meeting. Do some personal research and contact a pastor to get advice.
CAN MY GROUP KEEP MEETING AFTER THE SEMESTER ENDS?
It’s healthy to take a break from the traditional Small Group setting. However, this doesn’t mean you have to cut off relationship with your group members. Be sure to keep up with them and be available for them when you can. This is a great time to plan a fun group activity or an outreach event where you all serve together. We just ask that you recognize that not everyone will want to meet between semesters, and that’s okay!
HOW LONG IS THE COMMITMENT FOR LEADING A SMALL GROUP?
Leading a Small Group is a six to twelve-week commitment. After each semester ends, it’s up to you and your group to decide whether you will continue meeting at the start of the next semester.
DO I HAVE TO PROVIDE SNACKS AT EVERY MEETING?
Having snacks and drinks available during a cGroup meeting can change the whole mood of the group and help put people at ease. If you don’t want to provide snacks and drinks for every meeting, delegate some of the responsibility to other people in the group and let people take turns.
HOW CAN I SHARE STORIES OF LIFE CHANGE FROM THE SMALL GROUP SEMESTER?
We love hearing about lives that are changed through cGroups. You can share your stories with your coach, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also share your own personal stories through social media and tag #livitcgroups
DO WE HAVE TO MEET AT A HOUSE?
We believe that the best atmosphere for a Small Group is in a home, however, we understand that sometimes that is not an option. Other options for meeting places could include coffee shops, cafés, outdoor locations, etc.
Being a cGroup Leader isn’t complicated. We don’t ask you to be a bible scholar, a Christian counselor, or a perfect host. We believe the pathway to effectiveness as a cGroup Leader is discovered through one very simple, biblical concept: Pursue God with all of YOUR heart and then invite others to join you.
GREAT LEADERS ARE GREAT FOLLOWERS FIRST
Jesus’ very first invitation to the people who would re- shape the world with His gospel was, “Follow me.” Life- change must first be evident in our lives before we can help others discover the life-changing power of Jesus. We cannot lead people where we are not going. Great cGroup Leaders are fully committed to following Jesus first.
3 KEY COMMITMENTS
- PRAY FOR EACH GROUP MEMBER DAILY. God changes people’s hearts, heals their past, sets them free. Not us. So ask Him to do what ONLY He can do.
- BUILD A REAL RELATIONSHIP WITH EACH GROUP MEMBER. God uses people to GROW people. Invest the time to truly know your group. This is how Jesus’ love is felt and known.
- HELP EACH GROUP MEMBER TAKE THEIR NEXT STEP. God deeply desires to GROW us. And He almost always does it through simple steps. cGroup Leaders help their members identify and take their next step with Jesus.
HOW TO GET STARTED
• Attend Life Track
• Read through our resources above
• Pray for direction about leading a cGroup
• Sign up your group below!